Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Mahler's 3rd Symphony

Bill is a Gustav Mahler fan, so when he heard the Kennedy Center was having the Julliard orchestra performing Mahler's 3rd Symphony on Dec. 13th, he bought tickets and TOLD me we were going!

I picked him up from work and we went out to dinner for Thai at a restaurant near his work, and then on to the Kennedy Center without directions, usually NOT a good idea when going into Washington, D.C. Thankfully, both of us have been to D.C. several times, but it still was like the blind leading the blind because I avoid driving in D.C. at all costs, and he had not been to the Kennedy Center. (I hate driving in D.C....there are so many one way streets that don't just go around the block! One night on my way down from Delaware, I mistakenly ended up going through D.C. and spending an hour just trying to find my way out of there!)

ANYway, we got there without a hitch, praise God, and after paying for parking at --*cough*-- $15 for the mere two hours we would be there, we found our way to the concert hall and our seats. He had bought tickets nice and close to the stage...almost too close, since we mostly saw the performers' shoes. LOL The guy next to me struck up a conversation and was commenting on the fact that you could tell it was a student versus a professional performing in front of him...he had gray socks on with a black tuxedo. :o)

The conductor took a few minutes to explain the symphony, which really helped me and the guy next to me, those of us who didn't know a thing about Mahler or his symphonies and were dragged by...ummm...I mean, accompanying their spouses to the concert. It's actually quite a neat story of what it's about and how he came to compose it, but I am going to make you look it up because it's a very long story. In summary, it's a story about the creation of the world, sin and redemption (we disagree with Mahler's theological interpretation of these things, but like the music). The concert was excellent! The Julliard orchestra was joined by the Washington Cathdral Choir and the Washington Cathedral school children. (I wasn't aware that the cathedral HAD a boys' and girls' school, but they do.) There was a mezzo-soprano who did the solo parts, too.

The 3rd symphony is Mahler's longest symphony, and according to the conductor, longer than any other symphony at 1.5 hours. The standing ovation HAD to have been almost as long as the last movement...which is 20 minutes long! I guess we weren't the only ones who enjoyed it. :o)

Here are some pictures Bill took with his early Christmas present, his new pocket-size camera:
Picture of Me at dinner:













The Thai restaurant:













Our view of the stage:
(note the student with gray socks on the far left, lol)

No comments: