Sunday, September 18, 2005

It's Not Easy Bein' Green!

..But It's Fun to Turn 15!!
Our son Micah turns 15 tomorrow, the 19th. When he was born, it seemed like the number 9 or 19 would be important in his life. He was born at 7:19 am on 09/19/1990 weighing almost 9 lbs. I can't recall his length, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had been 19 inches. I had gained 19 lbs. during his pregnancy, and the labor took almost 9 hours from start to finish. It's a good thing we're not superstitious, or I might be concerned about his 19th birthday. ;o)

Micah wanted to have some friends "sleep" over and play video games for his birthday, so we planned that for Friday night. One of the little kids said we should just call it a "stay over" since no one really gets much sleep. LOL

He has always liked the color green, so we got green decorations and made him a banner saying, "It's not easy bein' green, but it's fun to turn 15!" We looked for a Kermit balloon to go with the theme (because the kids just love the Muppets now), but they didn't have one. We found the cutest bullfrog balloon to substitute.

As I said in the last blog, Micah wanted to have pulled pork BBQ for the meal, so we had pork sandwiches, baked beans, coleslaw and chips. I called him up from the grocery store and asked what kind of cake he wanted, thinking that I could buy a box mix or maybe even order a cake from the bakery to make things easier, when he said he wanted a Texas Sheet Cake! He sure does have unusual requests for his birthday meal. I searched on the internet and even asked some Texans on a forum for a recipe. We finally found one that was supposed to be authentic, so Nathan made that one. It turned out very good...we may use just a little less cinnamon next time.

The guys rearranged our furniture in the den so that everyone could play the game cube comfortably. (I was wondering what those loud banging noises and crashes were! eek!) I had bought some dollar store puzzles, etc., so Nathan and Micah made up a tournament schedule of games, and they gave those out as prizes. (Gone are the days where I can buy his gift at the dollar store...rats!) We figured candy would be good for the green goody bags.

The boys were playing games when I left to go out for a bit (more on that in another post), and they were still playing when I got home at midnight. I was told they DID take time out to get outside a little bit to play tag, and to open presents, though. At 3:15 am, we kicked them off the game cube and sent them to pretend to sleep.
Here is an album of other pictures: Micah's Birthday Party
I wanted to make Micah a tee shirt that he could wear at the party, but time ran out before we finished it. :o( Nathan made the face and I printed and ironed the design on the tee shirt tonight, so at least he got to wear it to church tonight. We were having a meal together before the study, so we made another cake, decorated it with green icing and sang to Micah at church.

No comments: