I was at work when I got a call from Bill about a daughter needing to go to the hospital. My first thought was Katelyn--although she was an hour away at a birthday roller skating party at the time, so I was imagining her either injured from skating or with a high fever and doubled over holding her stomach from a kidney infection. His next sentence told me it wasn't Katelyn, it was Renee...our "accident prone" child. Renee was on the playground equipment and was complaining of her arm hurting. Bill said she was moaning and asking for me. What mother can resist a daughter in distress? I left work early and took her to the hospital. I was wondering if it was nursemaid's elbow, since that has happened to her before. (Just a note to parents: DON'T ever hold your child's hands and swing them up and down between you. That's how Nathan & I pulled her elbow out the first time. Sigh.)
The ER jr. (where they take the kids that come in the ER) was FULL of children and parents waiting, and more coming every minute. :o( It seemed like everyone in the county decided to visit the ER jr. that evening...okay, that's a SLIGHT exaggeration, but the waiting room was full, and there was a line just to register your child. The triage nurse came out and said all the rooms were full and she would be getting to us as soon as possible. SIGH. Even though I was pretty sure it was nursemaid's elbow, I was afraid we would have to get an xray and wait for results before they tried to fix it. Thankfully, they thought it was nursemaid's elbow, too, and the doctor fixed it as soon as we finally got into the triage room...about an hour and a half after we arrived. That was all it needed...popping back into place. She was good as new. :o)
I Admit It, We Tried
15 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment