Friday, August 19, 2005

Aloha! again


Here is a link to the photo album of Pool Party pictures. We had a fun time with Katelyn and her friends. One of the guests had an exchange student from Japan staying with them for a month, so we planned the party date so that she would be able to come and experience an American birthday party while she was here. It will be hard to say goodbye to her...even though we have only had brief visits with her, it has been delightful getting to know her.
The girls were anxious to get wet, so the first order of business was the POOL! I never knew how much noise a bunch of teenage girls could make. :o) They were splashing each other and throwing each other around the pool...maybe even more rambunctious than the BOYS! They had fun, though, and definitely got wet....along with the porch...the lawn... AND the mother... :o)
I had a couple of crafts for them to make:
1. Frame made of foam sheets that they could decorate with foam stickers and take home to use for their picture from the party.
2. Plastic heart necklaces that they filled with layers of colored sand.
We had bought a limbo game from the party store, as well as some tropical type of music. It cracked me up to see a line of girls going under the limbo stick (well, actually it was a walking stick...more on that in a minute) all leaning backwards and straining to get under the stick, when suddenly Renee just walks right under there without bending a smidgeon. LOL She is so short, she didn't have any problem with the limbo game. Now, about that limbo game. I was disappointed to hear that it broke when Nathan tried to put it into the ground and THEN the bamboo stick going across it broke when some OTHER boys were using it for sword practice. SIGH!
I bought a table skirt for the girls to use as grass skirts and leis to go with them. The hula outfits were a big hit, and make cute pictures. :o)

Next it was time for the FOOD! I bought 5 huge pizzas from Costco. I should have known teenage girls wouldn't eat that much. I think I had about two pizzas we didn't even use. We used the tiki torch from the table for Katelyn to blow out, instead of traditional cake candles. We had the cake and ice cream, and of course, they sang a rendition of "Happy Birthday." After opening presents, they went back out in the pool for another dip. Most of the guests had to leave around 8 p.m., but one girl's Mom stayed and talked with me, so she and Katelyn were swimming in the moonlight. I was a little nervous when it was raining the day before, but God held back the rain today and blessed us with a gorgeous day.

No comments: