
Last Saturday we had a family day at the 32nd annual Virginia Scottish Games!
What a wonderful time we had, too. It was a HOT, sunny, day, but there was a nice breeze so in the shade it was quite pleasant. To know what the above phrase means, you could have come with us to the Gathering of the Clans and taken gaelic lessons. ;o) Taking gaelic lessons is just one of many activities taking place over the weekend at the Games. There are athletic games for adults, and the children get to start young preparing for those in the Children's Games. There are all kinds of musical competitions, too...bagpipes (of course), harp, violin, drums. Then there are dancing competitions...highland dancing and Scottish country dancing. Each clan has their own tent set up, and the MacFarlane tent becomes our "home away from home" for the day.
The picture was taken in front of the MacFarlane tent...the editor of the newsletter wanted to take a picture of us in the shirts I made, so I talked him into taking one with our camera, too. I wanted to make the shirts visible in a crowd so that I could keep track of all the Clan... thus the red color. It worked! Not only was I able to notice where everyone was, but we got quite a few comments about them from others. One gentleman wanted to know where I got them and when I told him, he took my business card so that he could get a similar design done for his clan. Haven't heard from him yet....but you never know!
There was a Pub tent with entertainment by Alex Beaton, and Hunting McLeod. Then there is always food to try...haggis & bridies & meat pies to name a few. Vendors have tartan kilts, celtic jewelry, swords, and whatever else you might be interested in having to do with Scotland.
During one of the performances by Alex Beaton, he was soliciting the audience to bring him a beer to quench his thirst. He got more than he could drink, so he asked "Who is thirsty?" Bill volunteered by raising his hand. So Alex called him up to the stage and gave him one of the extra beers. As he was approaching the stage, he said, "This man deserves a free beer. Did you see all his kids in the red shirts? This is a man who has been overworked for years!" LOL
Rachel is quite the socialite..she is always making a friend everywhere we go. She just goes up to other little girls her age and asks their name. Then by the time we leave, she has their phone number and asks to call her best friend! This time was no different. We have a picture of Rachel and her new friend playing during the Pub tent entertainment. The twins are taking after their sister and were making friends, too. They were all playing frisbee with their 'discus' from the Children's Games. Here is a link to the album of pictures: Scottish Games

1 comment:
Carol, it sounds like so much fun! You guys all look great in your shirts! I love the Scottish Festivals even if the native Scots make total fun of us for having them. LOL
I need to see when the next one in our area is. I am glad you did the shirts in red, it looks so great!
Post a Comment