Saturday, July 16, 2005

It's Here...and We Own It!

The new HP book, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," that is. ;o) We went to Borders and just got back with it. I had a mocha/caramel coffee to keep me awake, and now I am almost too awake to go to bed! I have to get to sleep soon so I can work in the morning!

Borders tried to make it a little more "magical" to wait in line until the stroke of midnight, when they could legally start selling the book. They had a clown that was doing face painting...most children chose the Harry Potter glasses and lightning bolt scar. People were dressed up like different characters from the books--and not just the Borders' personnel--there were many guests dressed up, too.

Clowning around

They were giving out the Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans and having the kids guess the flavors--if they were right, they got a sample cup of their Very Berry Smoothie. Jacob got the "DIRT" flavor and Katelyn got the "VOMIT" flavor--YUK! They deserved a WHOLE smoothie after enduring THOSE flavors! (I am not sure I want to know how they manufactured them, either!)

Borders also had tables set up with things to color and a Harry Potter Trivia quiz.

Caleb was concentrating hard on the Harry Potter Trivia questions.

Passing the time coloring....

...and reading about Flash programming.

When you picked up your ticket for your number in line, you also were to pick up a red ticket with a different number on it, and if you were one of the lucky chosen ones, you were able to move to the front of the purchase line. Unfortunately, we were not so lucky. :o( I was pleased, though, that it took less than 1 hour before our number, #247, was called. I asked them how many HP books were preordered, and they said more than 1300 books were preordered for their store alone!!! No wonder they made such a big deal out of it.

Katelyn was especially excited and eager to get the new book. Bill is the one who has read all of the books and thinks they are well-written, so it was for them that I preordered the book.

FINALLY! We have the book!

Now I just need Nathan and Micah writing their little fingers to the bone on their novels so we can be millionaires like J. K. Rowling. ;o)

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

Even though it was a really late event, I bet all of you had a great time. Too bad you didn't get to go to the front of the line.

Handsfullmom said...

I'm currently taking turns/fighting with my husband on reading the book.
Sounds like a fun party you went to.