I got all the ingredients together and was informed that there were no skewers in the house. What?! We used to have nice, long, metal skewers with wooden handles. Apparently, the kids found that they also make good swords and the occasional pick tool to get into the bathroom when it was locked with no one in it. SIGH. Off to the store AGAIN! All I could find at the nearest store were the small wooden skewers, but they would have to do. I put the pieces of steak and veggies on them and started to grill. Unfortunately, the grill is in need of some repair as it cooks unevenly; flames come up in some parts, while other parts seem to be off completely, so Katelyn and I were getting some things burned and kept having to move the skewers around. Let me tell you, the wooden skewers are not the reuseable kind--there would be a sudden burst of flames as the wood caught on fire and all that was left was burned charcoal. The skewers were destined for the trash -- or so I thought.
During dinner I looked over at Jacob and Rachel, and they were using the charcoal ends of the skewers to decorate their paper plates! (Washing dishes for ten people every meal can get quite exhausting, so we use paper plates occasionally.) They had just made their own charcoal art pencils! I guess I could count that meal as Home Economics AND Art. LOL
Here is a picture of Rachel's drawings using the skewers:


1 comment:
no guessing about it, Carol. I would absolutely use that as part of homeschooling. You have a budding artist there!
Post a Comment